The workshop is open to all members of national botanic garden associations (Verband Botanischer Gärten of Deutschland, De Botanische Tuinen van Nederland, etc.). Registration is now closed. If you are interested in joining, please contact us directly and we will see if there is still room.
Getting More Out of Your Botanical Collection
Botanic gardens rely on documented plant collections for the purposes of scientific research, conservation, display and education. During the workshop, we will discuss how gardens can improve the way in which their plant collection is documented. We will guide you through the process of managing a botanical collection by carrying out tasks such as:
- accessioning of plant material
- recording the origin of plant material, including map coordinates
- printing plant labels
- changing plant names and managing taxonomy
- mapping your living collection and carrying out inventories
- planning and completing plant maintenance
- involving more staff in the collection management process
- managing photos
- planning garden tours
- publishing plant collection data online
- creating reports
Participants will learn how to record and track plant collection information and how the system can be adapted to their own requirements. There will also be room for general discussions on the best practices regarding collection management. The presentation will be held in English.
- 09:00 Coffee
- 09:30 Start Workshop
- 12:30 Lunch (included)
- 16:00 Finish
We will also try to fit in a short tour around the garden after lunch (weather permitting).
A special thank you to the team at the Botanic Garden of Universität of Mainz for hosting this event.
Hope to see you there.