The workshop is open to everyone. However, existing users and members of national botanic garden associations (PlantNetwork, APGA, etc.) will be given priority if fully booked. Registration closes on Sunday 26th of October at 8 pm.
Collection Management Workshop
Botanic gardens rely on documented plant collections for the purposes of scientific research, conservation, display and education. During the workshop, we will discuss how gardens can improve the way in which their plant collection is documented. We will guide you through the process of managing a botanical collection by carrying out tasks such as:
- accessioning of plant material
- recording the origin of plant material, including map coordinates
- printing plant labels
- changing plant names and managing taxonomy
- mapping your living collection and carrying out inventories
- planning and completing plant maintenance
- involving more staff in the collection management process
- managing photos
- planning garden tours
- publishing plant collection data online
- creating reports
Participants will learn how to record and track plant collection information and how the system can be adapted to their own requirements. There will also be room for general discussions on the best practices regarding collection management.
- 09:30 Coffee
- 10:00 Start Workshop
- 13:00 Lunch (included)
- 16:30 Finish
We will also try to fit in a short tour around the garden after lunch (weather permitting).
A special thank you to the team at Bristol Zoo Gardens for hosting this event.
Hope to see you there.