The workshop is organized as part of the APGA 2014 Plant Collection Symposium.
To register for the symposium and our optional workshop, please visit the symposium web page: http://www.publicgardens.org/content/plant-collections-professional-development
[The event is fully booked]
Getting More Out of Your Botanical Collection
Botanic gardens rely on documented plant collections for the purposes of scientific research, conservation, display and education. During the workshop, we will discuss how gardens can improve the way in which their plant collection is documented. We will guide you through the process of managing a botanical collection by carrying out tasks such as:
- accessioning of plant material
- recording the origin of plant material, including map coordinates
- printing plant labels
- changing plant names and managing taxonomy
- mapping your living collection and carrying out inventories
- planning and completing plant maintenance
- involving more staff in the collection management process
- managing photos
- planning garden tours
- publishing plant collection data online
- creating reports
Participants will learn how to record and track plant collection information and how the system can be adapted to their own requirements. There will also be room for general discussions on the best practices regarding collection management.
Schedule (Discovery room,11th floor, Liaison Capitol Hill Hotel)
- 08:00am Coffee / Croissant breakfast
- 08:30am Start
- 10:00am Break with refreshments
- 01:30pm Finish
Hope to see you there.