Join our workshop and learn how plant collection software can help you improve the way you manage your botanical garden.
07:30 Welcome breakfast
07:40 (1) From Novice to Magician in 90 minutes (Havard Ostgaard and Greg Payton).
09:20 (2) IrisBG handheld for Android and IOS: A Technical preview (Havard Ostgaard).
09:40 (3) Inclusive Collection Management: Delegating Data Capture. (Martin Smit).
10:00 (4) Celebrating 20 years: 20 things you did not know you could do with plant records! (Havard Ostgaard and Greg Payton)
10:50 (5) Advanced Image Handling for Plant Collection holders (Havard Ostgaard).
11:25 Prize Draw – Chance to win a Nexus Tablet
- Havard Ostgaard, Manager, Botanical Software Ltd, UK.
- Greg Payton, Plant Records Specialist, The Dawes Arboretum, Ohio, USA.
- Martin Smit, Curator, Stellenbosch Botanical Garden, South Africa.
- During the first session, we will build a botanic garden from scratch using plant records and show how information can be gathered efficiently and accurately. We will go through many traditional plant collection scenarios. The workshop will give delegates new ideas on how you can improve the quality and value of your plant collection data.
- We will introduce the delegates to IrisBG handheld for Smartphones and Tablets and talk about the basic design and how this will fit in with the rest of IrisBG.
- Martin Smit will share his experience from Stellenbosch Botanical Garden on how they have managed to delegate many record keeping tasks to enable the garden to capture very comprehensive multi-lingual plant records in record time.
- In this session, we will carry on where we left off in the first session and show the delegates some unorthodox and surprising usage of plant collection data.
- During the final part of the workshop, we will present the recommended strategies for image handling in Botanic Gardens. Part of the presentation will include a case study from the integration project between IrisBG and the Digital Asset Management System at Smithsonian Gardens.
Delegates to the workshop will be given a booklet and free access to a software trial of IrisBG for Windows.
How to sign up
Sign up through the APGA conference registration or come and visit us at our exhibit on Wednesday or Thursday (Booth #26).
APGA Conference website: http://2016.publicgardens.org/
The IrisBG Workshop page : http://2016.publicgardens.org/event/irisbg-workshop-breakfast
Please note – The programme may not be fully updated on the conference website.
Hope to see you there