The workshop is organized as part of the 2015 APGA Annual Conference.
To register for the conference and our workshop, please visit the conference web page.
Getting More Out of Your Botanical Collection
Botanic gardens rely on documented plant collections for the purposes of scientific research, conservation, display and education. During the workshop, we will discuss how gardens can improve the way in which their plant collection is documented. We will guide you through the process of managing a botanical collection by carrying out tasks such as:
- accessioning of plant material
- recording the origin of plant material, including map coordinates
- printing plant labels
- changing plant names and managing taxonomy
- mapping your living collection and carrying out inventories
- planning and completing plant maintenance
- involving more staff in the collection management process
- managing photos
- planning garden tours
- publishing plant collection data online
- creating reports
Participants will learn how to record and track plant collection information and how the system can be adapted to their own requirements. There will also be room for general discussions on the best practices regarding collection management.
Schedule (Lakeshore A, Hyatt Regency Minneapolis)
- 09:30am Start morning session
- 11:45am Plenary Lunch with Peter Raven
- 01:15pm Start Afternoon session
- 02:45pm Break
- 03:45pm (We will finish in time to join the event at Como Park Zoo).
Hope to see you there.